The loading time of your website is hugely important. Every second counts. Faster loading websites not only provide a better visitor experience but also rank higher in search listings. Even an extra 2 seconds of load time may be the cause of someone staying on your site or going somewhere else.
When you buy web hosting it’s normally configured using something called a LAMP Stack (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP). All of these bits of software are open source and deliver great speed and performance.
One of the elements above is Apache. Apache is a web server. This is the part of the stack that delivers the pages to your visitors. Apache was introduced in 1995 and has been in constant development ever since.
Alternative open source versions and drop-ins have also become available, for example Nginx.
An alternative to the above it LiteSpeed. The specialty of the LiteSpeed server is its ability to handle heavier traffic compared to Apache. It’s also designed to handle DDOS attacks with more efficiency.
Some of the benefits of LiteSpeed are:
- Works with existing Apache configuration (such as .htaccess) so there’s nothing to change when switching to LiteSpeed
- Streamlined event-driven architecture, LiteSpeed Web Server can serve thousands of clients concurrently with minimal memory consumption and CPU usage
- Highly optimised code serves static content faster, providing static content up to 5x faster than Apache and 67% faster than nginx
- Unique server API gets the most out of PHP, Ruby, and PHP, leading to up to 40x better PHP performance
- mod_security compatibility and a host of built-in anti-DDoS features, LiteSpeed’s team of dedicated developers is always on the lookout for new Internet threats and reacts swiftly to release patches
- Caching plugins for the major CMS’s such as WordPress, Drupal, Joomla, PrestaShop meaning delivering even more speed is easy
All of our premium hosting products use LiteSpeed and LiteSpeed cache. Alongside our RevCloud Platform powered network and fast SSD disks, you’ll see your websites perform incredibly well.