About this Article
We we decided to offer hosting services, we thought long and hard about whether we would also sell domain names. In the end we decided not to. You can read more why here.
Buying a Domain Name
If you don’t already have a domain name then you’ll need one before you buy hosting from us. We highly recommend Google Domains for this.
- They have a world class DNS service (it means compared to others out there, it’s really quick. Every time you load a web page, it contacts the registrar first)
- It’s very secure. Not that it wouldn’t have been secure if we offered them for sale, but Google are in a much better position at mitigating and managing Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attacks
- If you are planning on using Google Mail etc (you’ll need an external account as we don’t offer mail hosting), it’s much quicker to set up
It only takes a few minutes to do if you have a Google Account already. If not, a few extra steps to set one up.
Buying a Domain From Google Domains
- Head to the Google Domains website
- Once you’ve signed up and/or signed in, click the red Search Domains Button
- Search for the domain that you want. If it isn’t available, you’ll see some recommendations. You can add the .bit at the end or leave it off to see all available
- Select the domain(s) that you want by clicking the cart button at the end of the row. You can add as many as you like. Click go to cart – it appears at the bottom of the page
- Select if you want privacy (highly recommended) and if you want it to auto-renew each year. Then checkout.
- Fill in all of your details and make payment
- Your domain(s) will now be available under the My Domains menu on the left of your page.
You are of course free to choose any domain registrar you like.